The JRS offers
its members a full-colour quarterly journal called "Bullet-In" with
48 pages A5 size. The journal is the only
regular publication not in Japanese, that is completely about Japanese
include Chairman's Chat, News Update and Model-In.
The magazine caters for fans of the
and models, old and new.
and should be sent to our Chairman.
A summary of contents
issue #109 (July 2021)
The Bullet-In archive
Our magazine is
available via subscription
Railway Society produces a series of videos. Some, in
with Keio Teito Electric Railways, feature aspects of that company's
Others, filmed by Anthony Robins and Oliver Mayer, take a thematic look
various types of operation, including freight and trams.
AGM & Other
holds its AGM in the London, usually in May but is subject to
The AGM date is always announced in the journal and on our Events page.
In Europe, there
are several informal meetings throughout the year
mostly in London & South-East England but also in other locations.
In Japan, there
are several informal meetings and weekend tours
occurring, typically in the Kantō-Chūbu-Kansai areas, occasionally
venturing further afield. Visitors from other regions are always
welcome to join.
The society has
organised many successful tours to Japan:
|People who joined the 2003 tour, taken at the workshop of the
Railway in Matsuyama city in Shikoku.
- in 1994 (October) - covering Tōkyō to Kyūshū
- in 1996 (March/April) - covering Kansai to Hokkaidō
- in 1997 (October) - covering Tōkyō to Kyūshū
- in 1998 (March/April) - covering Tōkyō to Kyūshū
- in 2000 (March/April) - covering Tōkyō to Kyūshū
- in 2001 (August) - primarily covering Hokkaidō
- in 2003 (March/April) - covering lines from Tōkyō to Kagoshima.
- in 2005 (March) - covering the Kansai area and Kyūshū
- in 2005 (October/November) - covering Tōkyō to Yamaguchi and
- in 2007 (March/April) - covering Tōkyō to Hiroshima, Matsue and
- in 2008 (March/April) - covering Tōkyō to Kyūshū and
- in 2009 (September) - covering Tōkyō to Kyūshū
- in 2011 (May) - covering Tōkyō to Yamaguchi, plus Matsumoto and
- in 2013 (September/October) - covering Tōkyō to Tōhoku and Hokkaidō
- in 2016 (March/April) - assisting the Railway Touring Company
(UK) Japan 2016 tour
|Members of our 2014 Veteran's Tour of Hokkaidō discuss
the rest of the day's agenda at Oshamambe
There is also an annual & informal 'Veteran's Tour' where many of
our long-term members
journey around the rails of Japan, often selecting an
area in particular and occasionally
side-trip to areas of rail interest in other parts of Asia. This annual tour
takes place in the first half of each year.
Please contact our Chairman for further details if
you would like
more information about these informal tours.